The Lage vuurtoren van IJmuiden is a round, cast-iron lighthouse in IJmuiden, Netherlands, designed by Quirinus Harder. It was built in 1878 by D.A. Schretlen & Co, a company in Leiden and activated the following year.
In 1909, the top three sections were moved to Vlieland where they serve as a separate lighthouse.
In 1966 the lighthouse was moved slightly. Together with the Hoge vuurtoren van IJmuiden, the 24-meter high lighthouse forms a pair of leading lights marking the IJgeul (the entrance on the North Sea to the North Sea Canal). The lighthouse now has five stories and 88 steps; it is unmanned and not open for visitors. Since 1981 it is a Rijksmonument.
Information Obtained From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia